Resource Directed Measures' (RDM) objective is to ensure the protection of water resources in order to ensure that equity between generations are not compromised when undertaking Water Allocations (WA), as described in Chapter 3 of the National Water Act - 1998 (No. 36 of 1998) [PDF - 00KB].
The role of RDM is to provide a framework to ensure sustainable utilisation of water resources to meet ecological, social and economic objectives and to audit the state of South Africa’s water resources against these objectives.
the unit is responsible for:
- Developing policies, strategies, systems, methodologies and guidelines for resource directed measures (RDM), particularly the Reserve determination, water resources classification and specification of associated resource quality objectives (RQO).
- Determining (and updating) the Reserve in significant water resources.
- Prioritisation, piloting and coordination of RDM implementation.
- Capacity building and technical support for RDM implementation.
- Developing indicators and assessing the state of the nation’s water resources.
- Auditing implementation of RDM and resource quality against the Resource Quality Objectives and the Reserve.